Saturday, March 27, 2010

Crossing the finish line


So this month I have achieved a life long goal,
I jogged/walked a marathon. The last race I ran was more than 20 years ago, and it couldn't of been more than a 6km race.It was a new years resolution made I in early Jan 2010, I said this is the year I am going to get fit. So its only the third month of the year and I am more that impressed with the level of fittnes I have already achieved. I describe how great it felt to finally cross that finish line I was so happy not only for completing the race, also for the experience involved of running with friends and family and making new friends on the way. My husband Adrian my Dad and myself all took part in the race and I really have to say a big thanks to dad who got me through the race without his guidance I don’t know if I would of crossed the finish line.
Adrian did really well as the race started he was jogging along side ,he told me he wanted to stay with me all the way through the race. I knew I was holding him back so me and dad kept telling him, to go run get a good time and off he went blending in to the crowd of bobbing heads ahead of me.. Congratulations Adrian you did so well on your first race I am very proud of you.
Right now I feel unstoppable and have already got my application to do the Dublin women’s mini marathon in June 2010.
I was inspired on the race by a many people. But one man who sticks out in my mind is Bill Young he is a 75 year old man riddled with cancer he has ran over 107 marathons and 135 half marathons. Doctors have told him he should of been dead years ago, but his love for running and keeping fit has helped him to fight his cancer. Sadly he is too ill to run but that doesn’t stop him from competing in races as he no longer runs and just walks them. Bill Young walks at such a speed I found it hard to keep up with him. For mile one and two I was ahead of Bill Young and mile 3 we walked along side each other this is where I got the chance to hear some of Bills amazing story and he talked nonstop for all of mile 3 without gasping for breath. Then he said to me he was going to start stepping up his speed and away he went his figure getting smaller ahead of me until finally disappearing over a hill. It seems he walks with such a speed he forces himself to walk faster each mile as most other people in the race slow down with each mile.
I am so happy with what I have achieved so early in the new year 2010 my goals for this year have been to downsize simplify and get fit so far I am achieving all my goals.
So now I am looking forward to training properly for my next race and I will keep you my readers updated on how it’s all going. Don’t forget ladies the Dublin’s Women’s min marathon is taking place in June so get your applications in. See you there.....

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations suzy q. we love what you guys are trying to achieve

    ReplyDelete